Pages

4.01.2008

Hello World!


Hello out there. It's very nice to meet you and I would like to tell you about myself.

My name's Fez, and I am a rabbit. I'm almost 9 weeks old! Very nearly my name was rabbit stew though! Luckily that isn't the case and I have pretty much the best bunny life in the world.

But I'm getting ahead of myself! Let me start at the..... start.

I was born around the start of February. I don't remember very much, but I do know that where I lived with my family it was very crowded, and hard to breathe. It smelled horrible and a lot of my family members were sick. I was scared a lot. We saw people sometimes, and they took some of us away. If they reached in, I would run and hide under my mom, because their hands hurt, they were rough, and grabbed our ears and tails. We were so crowded that sometimes some of the other rabbits would fight, and bite or scratch each other because they were just so scared. One of my friends had a big cut on his nose from being accidentally bitten or kicked. I saw others with bigger cuts but I try not to think about it now.

Anyway one day people came, and we were really scared. They were taking everyone away, opening our cages and putting us into smaller ones, and then they would load us up in these big noisy things and go away. I tried to hide with my family but we got packed up too. But when these people picked me up they had soft voices, and told me it was okay now and that I was safe. I was still scared.

We were in the dark for a bit, then someone opened up our cage and took us all out to have a look at us. This lady was so gentle, oh! I have never been held like that, and she spoke softly and gently checked me all over. She said that I'm a boy (duh!) and that I was healthy. She put me in another cage with one of my brothers and said she would take me. I didn't know where she was taking me but they gave me some food, and I ate some and then fell asleep. I woke up later in the dark again and it was very bumpy, but my brother was there and I could hear others around us. We must have been in the bumpy dark place for a long time, but I tried to sleep.

The next thing that I remember is being taken into a place with lots of other people. They were peeking in, and making lots of funny noises! They were opening our cages, and they were PETTING us. Everyone they looked at they said something nice to, and were trying to figure something out. Each person took some of us with them. They kept saying it was okay, and we were lucky bunnies, and we were safe now. Someone opened up our cage and said, "Sorry baby, say bye to your brother, you are coming with me." She pulled me out and put me into another little cage with a soft towel by myself. I was still scared, ,I didn't really know what would happen. I missed my family, I felt lonely and thirsty, and I was just so tired. We went on another bumpy ride.

Finally the blonde girl took my cage and opened it up. She reached in and gently pulled me out. I was scared and I think I scratched her, but if I did she didn't get mad or anything, she was whispering to me and she nuzzled her face into my fur. Then, she kissed me! She said "What a long day you've had little guy. I'm going to name you Fez, and you are going to stay here for a while." She put me into a cage with soft towels, and food and water. After I had a big drink she brought in a big soft bunny stuffie. She said, "I know you must be lonely, you can snuggle up to this stuffie tonight." She gave me a little ear rub, and then left me alone. I fell asleep.

That was my first day of my new life. It was on March 12, 2008. I was 6 weeks old. Over the next few days, I found out all about my life before. The blonde girl is named Mom, and she lives with a tall boy named Dad. They told me that I was rescued by Rabbit Rescue and the SPCA from a farm where my family and I were being raised for meat, to be eaten! It makes me really sad to know that my family members were being taken away to die. They said my brothers and sisters found new homes too and that everyone that got taken that day is safe now. They said some of us were too sick and had to be put to sleep, but that it was better than being tortured and in pain. Some of us are still waiting for foster homes, but Mom says they are safe and fed now and Rabbit Rescue is working very hard to find everyone a spot. I feel very lucky. Here it is not crowded, and I can breathe, and no one is sick. I have clean food and water all the time and lots of space. At first I was so scared, I didn't want to move at all. I didn't know what to do with the food Mom gave me, so she helped to show me to eat pellets, and hay, and now I eat up as much as I can. She also showed me where to go to the bathroom. I'm still learning to hold it in until I get into my litter box but I usually make it for my pee-pees. But sometimes I'm too busy playing!

Mom weighed me the first week and said I was right one 1 lb. Now I weigh over 2.5 lbs. She had to move me into a bigger cage, she called it my condo. It has three levels and lots of room and I like to run around in it! Dad patted me too and said that I could stay here forever, which made Mom really happy. Before she said I was just staying here for a bit until I got "noodled" whatever that means. I guess now I get to stay here even after I'm noodled! I'm really happy because I love Mom and Dad. And they love me! They are my new family. I live here with 3 other rabbits, and a big dog. Also there is another rabbit that Mom says we are fostering until she gets a new home. All of my new family were rescued too. There is Bambi, Abbey, and Jack, the dog Bauer, and the foster rabbit is named Betty. I'll tell you more about them another time.

Well I'm really tired now, but you know all about me. As you can see I am very lucky, and I went from a hopeless life where I was doomed to having people who really love me. I can't believe it. Good night for now, I know that I'll have sweet dreams!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww Fez! What a lucky boy! I (Faisal) am happy too! I have grown SO big too! My mommy made me a condo, but i am too scared to jump to the other level. Soon i will, I hope.

Deb Cushman said...

Fez, It was sad to read your story, but we're really happy you found such a great home. Freckles is an adopted bunny from the Humane Society. She was found wandering a downtown street.